Subscribe to our Newsletter
Why an Espresso Martini’s a great post-work week treat
We have all been there, its Friday afternoon and you just need to sit down and enjoy a nice guilty pleasure (with minimal calories) – enter Espresso Martini!
EMs have been a treat in my family for years – it replaced the champagne at my brother’s wedding and when a Saturday afternoon hits, my fiancé & I will always welcome the night with a lovely EM.
So why is an Espresso Martini the perfect drink to unwind after a busy week at the office? Not only does it taste great but it also has two great beneficial ingredients. Coffee & Vodka.
Here are 5 reasons why an Espresso Martini is a beneficial post-work week delight:
1. Coffee is known to help fight depression and make you happier
When you feel as though your work is piling up and it feels like the world is against you, sometimes you need a little pick me up to make you think life isn’t all that bad – enter coffee! Coffee appears to lower your risk of developing depression so why not mix a bit of happiness into your martini?
2. Coffee makes you smarter
There have been various studies over the year that show coffee improves multiple aspects of the brain such as memory, energy levels, attentiveness, reaction times and mood! Caffeine is a great psychoactive substance which alters brain function to temporarily change mood and behaviour – trick yourself into thinking you had a good week!
3. Vodka helps reduce stress:
Another study has shown vodka has a clear effect in reducing stress – more so than other drinks such as red wine. It also has sleep-inducing properties that help calm the mind (this might help counteract the caffeine before bed).
4. Excellent substitute for dessert:
If you’re super busy at work and don’t have the time to exercise as frequently as you would like, why not cut some calories and substitute the chocolate cake for a beautiful low calorie espresso martini?
5. It keeps you healthy!
These ingredients can help keep the blood pressure low, reduce fevers, enhance hair & skin, heal arthritis and reduce the risk of disease. You may also feel quite fancy holding a martini glass.
In conclusion, I recommend an espresso martini on a Friday night to wash away the day and you may just wake up feeling bright-eyed & beaming ready for a new day!
Espresso Martini Recipe:
There are multiple ways to make an espresso martini – I like to keep it basic and delicious but if you have a bit of a sweet tooth you can add sugar syrup or honey to sweeten up your day!
- 1 Shot of Coffee
- 1 30ml shot of Vodka
- 1 30ml shot of Kahlua (or any other coffee liquor)
- A few extra coffee beans for garnish
- 1 Martini Glass
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- Fill the martini glass with ice to chill
- Fill the cocktails shaker with ice
- Pour the shot of coffee into the shaker (this can be hot or cold)
- Pour in the Vodka then Kahlua
- Add any sweeteners you desire
- Place the lid on the shaker
- Shake the cocktail shaker
- Empty the martini glass and pour the cocktail through the strainer of the shaker
- For extra froth slightly open the lid of the shaker and empty some froth without letting any sneaky ice cubes fall into the martini
- Garnish with coffee beans if you feel like being fancy
Check out another recent blog in this category.