Subscribe to our Newsletter

Can I claim self education expenses?

Written by Pauline Campbell • Senior Accountant
Published on 25 May 2017

What courses are eligible to claim self-education expenses?

So now you must be thinking, what constitutes eligible self-education expenses? Can I just watch some YouTube videos and record my time in a logbook to claim my deduction? Unfortunately, that’s not how it works. The only courses that are eligible to claim the deductions for are courses which lead to a formal qualification and must:

  • Improve or maintain the knowledge required to perform your job.
  • Likely to result in an increase in income in your current job.


What self-education expenses can I claim?

There are quite a few things that you can claim a deduction for. Assuming you’ve chosen a course that meets the criteria outlined above; the most common expenses are:

  • Computer expenses
  • Depreciation for equipment purchased which is over $300
  • Equipment under $300
  • Internet Costs
  • Stationary
  • Student Union Fees
  • Text Books
  • Meals and accommodation (if away from home overnight)


What self-education expenses can’t be claimed

Unfortunately, there are some things that can’t be deducted like the following:

  • Repayments towards your HELP loan
  • Repayments towards Student Supplement Financial Scheme
  • Meals (unless away from home)


$250 Reduction

Self- education expenses can be broken up into 5 categories, with most being in category ‘A’

Any expenses in category A have a $250 reduction on your deductions. To understand how each category works, please follow the table contents below provided by the ATO.

Check out another recent blog in this category.

A valued member of Fitzpatrick Group since 2000, Pauline has a Bachelor of Business, majoring in Accounting. Pauline specialises in business and company tax returns.
Authour • Pauline Campbell

Senior Accountant, Fitzpatrick Group

Post Categories: Tax Essentials

Want to know more?